Roenick on lockout; Pavelski's new sweater

917233.jpg

Roenick on lockout; Pavelski's new sweater

Jeremy Roenick was 34 years old, on the downswing of his career, and coming off of a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals when he was locked out for the entire 2004-05 season.

Perhaps thats why hes urging the players to take the owners latest CBA proposal of a 50-50 split of league revenues and get back on the ice. The former Shark and current NBC Sports analyst sent out the following tweet on Tuesday night:

Ok it's now a 5050 offer. Players should accept it now and play their best hockey and drive revenue to 4 billion and all is good in NHL Jeremy Roenick (@Jeremy_Roenick) October 17, 2012
Roenicks advice is especially interesting in that hes not the only former high-profile player who has weighed in on the lockout. Last month, Stars legend Mike Modano said that the lost season of 2004-05 was a waste of time."

"It's not a battle you're going to feel like you're going to win. It's a negotiation. You feel at some point that both sides will be upset about what they have to give up, Modano told ESPN.coms Craig Custance on Sep. 18.

There were a few noteworthy replies to Roenick via Twitter. The Blackhawks' Jamal Mayers chimed in, tweeting: "JR you know better than that to think that this offer is acceptable! Still a lot of real concerns, a real starting pt!"

Ken Daneyko, the former Devils defenseman and current analyst of the MSG network, replied: "now ur talking my man!"

There is still a large group of players in the league that were a part of that lost season, including the Sharks Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle, and future Hall-of-Famers like Martin Brodeur, Teemu Selanne and Jarome Iginla. Do they agree with Roenick and Modano, and will they put pressure on the union to salvage an 82-game schedule?

We may find out soon enough.

Joe Pavelski is back on the ice, although in a different shade of blue than were used to.

As first reported here on Oct. 4, Pavelski signed with the KHLs Dinamo Minsk in Belarus while the lockout persists. He finally joined the team this past weekend.

Dinamo's official twitter page recently tweeted a few pictures of Pavelski in his new uniform.

You can check them out here, here and here.

Tierney, Sorensen among players qualified by Sharks

Tierney, Sorensen among players qualified by Sharks

The Sharks have issued qualifying offers to restricted free agent forwards Chris Tierney, Marcus Sorensen and Barclay Goodrow, while cutting ties with three players in the system.

Tierney, 22, posted 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points in 80 games last season, serving primarily as the fourth line center. He has 64 points (24g, 40a) in 202 career games over three NHL seasons, all with the Sharks.

Sorensen posted one goal and three assists in 19 games with the Sharks last season, his first in the NHL. The 25-year-old played in all six playoff games against Edmonton, scoring one goal and one assist.

Goodrow, 24, skated in three games for the Sharks last season with one assist. He has 16 points (4g, 12a) in 77 games over three seasons with the Sharks, although has played in just 17 NHL games since the start of the 2015-16 season.

Forward Nikita Jevpalovs, defenseman Patrick McNally and goalie Mantas Armalis - also known for his career as a male model - were left unqualified and are now unrestricted free agents.

Earlier in the offseason, the Sharks signed pending restricted free agents Joonas Donskoi and Melker Karlsson. Donskoi received a two-year deal at a salary cap hit of $1.9 million, while Karlsson was signed to a three-year deal at $2 million annually.

Thornton, Marleau now permitted to speak with other teams

Thornton, Marleau now permitted to speak with other teams

Their futures with the Sharks more uncertain than ever, pending unrestricted free agents Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are now free to take calls from other teams to gauge their potential interest.

Nothing can be signed with a new team before July 1, and there is a ban on discussing terms of any potential deal. Teams have already reached out to Marleau, per TSN’s Pierre LeBrun, while Thornton is also reportedly receiving interest around the league.

While they could still return to the Sharks, it’s new territory for both, as neither Thornton nor Marleau has ever tested the unrestricted free agent waters. Most recently, they agreed to three-year contract extensions with the Sharks on the same day – Jan. 24, 2014 – in what was the final year of their current deals.

Whether they return to the Sharks could depend on the length of the deal. If other teams are willing to offer multiple-year deals to Thornton and Marleau, it makes their return to the Sharks less likely – particularly in Marleau’s case. Earlier in the offseason, NBC Sports California confirmed that Thornton was seeking a three-year deal, while Marleau preferred a deal of at least three years.

General manager Doug Wilson’s top priority this offseason is to re-sign goalie Martin Jones and defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic to long term extensions. Those contracts would likely cost the team a combined $12-14 million, and would begin in the 2018-19 season.

There is an added risk to any team that signs a player over the age of 35, as it would be on the hook for the entire salary cap hit regardless of whether that player is active (unless that player is on long-term injured reserve). 

Thornton turns 38 on Sunday, while Marleau turns 38 on Sep. 15.