Some notable stats from the Sharks’ 5-4 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday, courtesy of Comcast SportsNet stats guru Darin Stephens (@SharksStats):
- This was the fourth time in NHL history that opposing players (Joe Pavelski and Martin St. Louis) had natural hat tricks in the same game.
- The last time it happened was on Oct. 12, 2006, when San Jose’s Jonathan Cheechoo and Edmonton’s Ryan Smyth each had natural hat tricks.
- Pavelski is the first U.S. born Sharks player with a regular season hat trick since Bill Guerin on Mar. 13, 2007 vs. the Blackhawks.
- St. Louis is the first player to score four goals in a regular season loss since Marc Savard on Apr. 5, 2000 (with Flames, lost 6-5 at Blues).
- St. Louis is the first player to score all four of his team's goals in a loss since Chicago’s Brian Noonan on Dec. 29, 1991, in 6-4 loss against Detroit.
- The only other player to have four or more goals in a regular season game against the Sharks is current Sharks player development coach Mike Ricci, who had five on Feb. 17, 1994, while playing for the Quebec Nordiques.
- St. Louis’ three first period goals marked the first regular season game in which the Sharks allowed a first period hat trick since Nov. 10, 1997 (Teemu Selanne, Ducks).