From Comcast SportsNet
PITTSBURGH (AP)Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been suspended for one game without pay for his hit last week on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.
NFL Executive Vice President Ray Anderson said Tuesday the suspension is the result of Harrisons fifth illegal hit against a quarterback in the past three seasons.
Harrison, who can appeal, laid a helmet-to-facemask hit on McCoy during the Steelers 14-3 victory over the Browns. The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year was penalized for roughing the passer on the play and said Monday he believed the hit didnt warrant further punishment.
If the suspension isnt overturned or reduced on appeal, Harrison wont be allowed to be at team facilities until next Tuesday, Dec. 20.
Coach Mike Tomlin said the team respects the leagues decision while acknowledging Harrisons play was a foul.
Were disappointed for James because we know how hard hes worked to play within the rules, Tomlin said. We accept the judgment rendered by the league office and well move forward.
He is the second player suspended by the league this season for on-the-field conduct. Detroit Lions NT Ndamokung Suh was suspended two games for stomping on an opponent last month.
The league says Harrison was fined six times in 2009 and 2010. He was fined 125,000 last year for a series of hits, growing so frustrated at one point he threatened to retire.
Instead, he returned and has remained effective this season while keeping it clean. He has 10 sacks despite missing a month with a fractured right orbital bone. The hit on McCoy marked the first time this season hed been flagged for an illegal hit.
MESA, Ariz. — The Raiders’ approval to leave Oakland and relocate to Las Vegas comes as the A’s are contemplating where to build their own ballpark in Oakland, with the Coliseum site one of the options.
The A’s issued this statement Monday after the Raiders got the green light from NFL owners to bolt for Vegas:
“We understand the Raiders’ need for a new stadium. Oakland is an incredible sports town and we would be sorry to see them leave. We commend the city’s and county’s efforts to keep the Raiders in Oakland. The Mayor and her team have worked incredibly hard to save the franchise. We are focused on, and excited about, our efforts to build a new ballpark in Oakland and look forward to announcing a location this year.”
The Raiders have one-year options to continue playing at the Coliseum for the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and they plan to do so.
The A’s, meanwhile, are choosing between four different locations in Oakland to build a new venue — the Coliseum, Howard Terminal, a site near Laney College and one near Brooklyn Basin.
The Raiders’ decision to leave doesn’t necessarily mean the Coliseum moves into the lead for possible options for the A’s to build. The site is viable, and there’s great BART and freeway access. The Coliseum could be considered the safest option, perhaps, because it’s a tried-and-true site that has hosted three professional sports teams for decades. The A’s know what they’re dealing with there.
But the A’s also want a thriving entertainment area around their new ballpark, wherever that might be. That sort of “neighborhood” would have to be built from scratch at the current Coliseum site, which is isolated from the multitude of restaurants and bars that exist around AT&T Park, for example.
SAN JOSE – While a definitive timeline is still uncertain, Logan Couture is expected back in the Sharks’ lineup this season after taking a puck to the face and losing several teeth on Saturday in Nashville.
The center was set to undergo dental work on Monday, according to coach Pete DeBoer, who indicated that the injury was perhaps not quite as bad as it looked.
“You see him the next day, the swelling wasn’t as bad as we thought,” DeBoer said. “He’s seeing the dentist today, and going to have some dental work done. But, I think the initial prognosis is that we feel pretty fortunate that with the amount of damage compared to what it could have been.”
Joe Pavelski said that he’s “not a doctor,” but that he expects Couture back in the Sharks’ lineup "at some point."
“Oh, yeah. I don’t think that’s even not a consideration,” DeBoer said.
The Sharks have seven games remaining in the regular season, while the playoffs start in a little more than two weeks. Could Couture return before the postseason?
“I don’t know timeframe. He’s seeing the dentist today. We’ll see,” DeBoer said.
The Sharks are expected to offer an official update later on Monday.
Couture was set up just outside the crease in the third period of Saturday’s 7-2 loss in Nashville when a Brent Burns point shot late in the second period hit a stick before squarely smacking into the 27-year-old’s mouth. He quickly skated to the dressing room under his own power with just 14 seconds before the intermission.
Couture’s father, Chet, said on Twitter that it was “an ugly injury sadly."