From Comcast SportsNetMIAMI (AP) -- Tino Martinez has been hired as the Miami Marlins' hitting coach and will work with new manager Mike Redmond.Martinez, a first baseman in the majors for 16 years, has been a New York Yankees special assistant and worked an analyst for the YES Network. Martinez had a career average of .271 with 339 home runs for the Yankees, Mariners, Cardinals and Rays.Redmond landed his first big league managerial job last week when he was hired to replace Ozzie Guillen. The Marlins this year batted .244, the worst average in franchise history, and scored the fewest runs per game since their first year in 1993.Eduardo Perez was the Marlins' hitting coach in 2012. Perez will be Houston's bench coach next season.
On July 4, Gordon Hayward decided he would leave the Utah Jazz and join the Boston Celtics.
On Monday, he joined Adrian Wojnarowski on The Woj Pod to break down the free-agent process.
"How much were you looking at Utah in the West and Golden State?" Woj asked Hayward. "When you imagine what Utah could be -- if you stayed, Ricky (Rubio) comes and you look at the other pieces -- what did you think that Jazz team could be? And Golden State -- does it have to impact your thinking?"
"Golden State is obviously the team to beat," Hayward answered. "Whether you're in the West or the East, you have to play them at some point in time. I thought in Utah, I thought we matched up pretty well with them. Just the style that we played, some of the guys that we had. I thought that we matched up pretty well.
"Unlucky with George (Hill) and his injury, but we had moments against them -- even though we got swept -- we had moments against them where I thought you know, maybe we could make a run at 'em."
Hill did not play in Games 2 through 4 because of a toe injury.
In Game 3, the Jazz led by nine midway through the 3rd quarter, but the Warriors won by 11.
In Game 4, the Warriors led by as many as 24 points early in the 2nd quarter, the Jazz cut it to five points in the 3rd quarter, and Golden State wound up winning by 26.
"The games at home, I thought we were right there," Hayward said. "We do have a healthy George, it's probably a little different -- maybe we sneak a game. But they're still a juggernaut.
"But when we're going through this process and you keep seeing some of the big-name guys and the West is loading up more and more and more, it's not something where, it's not like 'I'm gonna go East just so I don't have to play them,' because you don't want to run from competition at all. That's not how I am.
"But there is a sense that it's probably the smarter thing as far as you're not gonna have to battle it out with all these teams just to make it to the second round ... giving yourself a better chance against a Golden State.
Chris Paul to the Rockets.
Paul George to the Thunder.
Jimmy Butler to the Timberwolves.
Paul Millsap to the Nuggets.
Kyrie Irving to the ?????
The West is going to be a bloodbath, and Steve Kerr believes the Warriors will be even better next year.
As Hayward summarized:
"It definitely crosses your mind, 100 percent."
Drew Shiller is the co-host of Warriors Outsiders and a Web Producer at NBC Sports Bay Area. Follow him on Twitter @DrewShiller
Raiders rookies have reported to Napa for some pre-training camp instruction. Gareon Conley and Obi Melifonwu are not among them.
This year’s top draft picks remain unsigned as activity ramps up toward the first full-squad practice on Saturday. Every practice, meeting or moment of instruction is important for young defensive backs expected to make an immediate impact.
It is, however, still early in the season preparation process. Head coach Jack Del Rio isn’t concerned about his first-round cornerback Conley or his second-round safety Melifonwu being away long term.
“These are issues that should get resolved shortly and they’ll join the team,” Del Rio said Tuesday in an interview with 95.7-FM The Game in San Francisco. “It’s one of those situations where, years ago, ...those were issues. Holdouts could last the whole camp and into the season. The structure is in place now (with the NFL’s rookie wage scale), and we expect these things to get resolved shortly and they’ll be getting their work in.”
There isn’t much wiggle room in rookie contract negotiations these days, which is why just four NFL draft picks remain unsigned at this stage.
Conley’s legal issues, however, could be considered complicating. The No. 24 overall pick was accused of sexual assault stemming from an April 9 incident in Cleveland.
The Cuyahoga County District Attorney’s office has said the investigation is ongoing. Conley’s lawyer did not return a call seeking comment.
There is no timetable to complete the process. Conley has maintained his innocence, and passed a lie detector test just before the draft. The Raiders have stood by their selection from the start, confident in their pre-draft research that Conley will be cleared of wrongdoing and be a productive member of the squad.
Del Rio said that’s still the case several months later.