Tip led to arrest of suspect in Bryan Stow attack

475455.jpg

Tip led to arrest of suspect in Bryan Stow attack

May 22, 2011GIANTS PAGE GIANTS VIDEO

LOS ANGELES (APCSN) -- A tip from a parole officer led to the arrest of one of the suspects in the attack on Giants fan Bryan Stow outside Dodger Stadium after the rival teams' season opener, a brutal beating that prompted an outpouring of support for the victim and outrage in the sports world and beyond.

The suspect was identified by LAPD as 31-year-old Giovanni Ramirez of Los Angeles. He has been booked for assault with a deadly weapon and is being held on 1 million bail. It is unknown if Ramirez had hired an attorney, and police released no further information on him.
Ramirez, who was detained early Sunday, is believed to be the "main aggressor'' in the March 31 beating that left Stow with brain damage, Los Angeles Chief Charlie Beck said at an afternoon news conference at the stadium.
RELATED: Giants issue statement

Stow is a Santa Cruz resident. He's in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital.

An emotional Beck hailed the work of 20 full-time detectives who he said have pursued 630 leads in the case so far. The police chief choked back tears as he described getting a call at 7 a.m. Sunday from Assistant Chief Earl Paysinger.

"He said the words I've been waiting for for seven weeks. He said that we had Bryan's assault suspect in custody,'' Beck said. "This is a huge step.''

It's unclear whether the others detained were possible witnesses or suspects in the March 31 beating that left Bryan Stow with brain damage, said police Sgt. Kunch, who declined to give his first name per department policy.

Several search warrants were served at an apartment building, Kunch said. Building manager Maritza Camacho told the Los Angeles Times that a SWAT team descended on the East Hollywood apartment using loudspeakers and with guns drawn.

Among the people taken out of the building was a man with a bald head and tattoos on his neck and arms, Camacho said, a description that appeared to match the vague sketches released by police of one of the two suspects.

Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic and father of two, was beaten in a parking lot by two men in Dodgers gear after the season opener against the Giants. No arrests have been made.

Last week, doctors reported that Stow is able to open his eyes. Stow had been at Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center since the attack that forced doctors to put him into a medically induced coma to avoid having seizures.

Police Chief Charlie Beck said recently that detectives are looking into about 500 leads in their search for the attackers. Rewards totaling more than 200,000 have been offered for information leading to the suspects' arrests.

Stow's sister said police called her family Sunday morning to inform them about the search warrants.

"I can't even tell you the emotions that we're going through right now,'' Bonnie Stow told KABC-TV, occasionally choking back tears. "To be excited is the least we can say.''

An outpouring of support for Stow included fundraisers that ranged from bowling tournaments to pasta dinners to donated services such as haircuts and fitness classes. The events are listed on the family's blog.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee said after hearing the news Sunday he called Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to express his thanks for the efforts of LA authorities and to congratulate him.

"That sort of brutality is totally unacceptable,'' Lee said of the attack. "It's not only unacceptable, but needs to be dealt with. Our hearts are still open for a full recovery of Mr. Stow.''

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said he heard Sunday morning that a suspect was in custody.

"Great news. It's been hard on the family,'' Bochy said before the Giants hosted Oakland. "For them to work as hard as they have been, I'm talking about the police department, to have a suspect in hand is great news. Hopefully they'll catch everybody who was involved in this senseless act.''

Giants team officials also released a statement commending Los Angeles police and thanking "the community for its tremendous support for the Stow family during this difficult time.''

Giants fan Les Wong, 37 of San Francisco celebrated the news as he headed to the game.

"It's good to hear that they caught someone. That kind of thing doesn't belong in sports,'' said Wong, who was wearing a Giants hat and Giants t-shirt. "I'm glad to hear there is going to be some sort of justice.''

Stow, who was wearing Giants gear, was leaving the game at Dodger Stadium with two friends when he was attacked. Moments earlier, Stow texted a family member to say he feared for his safety in the rowdy crowd.

Following the attack, Beck beefed up security at Dodger Stadium to deal with fights that had been breaking out at games in recent years.

Baseball fans have complained that anyone who dares to wear a rival team's jersey on Dodger turf has too-often been subjected to profane verbal abuse and threats of violence.

Hoesen leads the ways as Earthquakes take down Real Salt Lake

quakes-win-us.jpg
USATSI

Hoesen leads the ways as Earthquakes take down Real Salt Lake

BOX SCORE

SAN JOSE — Danny Hoesen scored his second goal of the season and assisted on Marco Urena's second goal, lifting the San Jose Earthquakes to a 2-1 victory over Real Salt Lake on Saturday night.

Hoesen opened the scoring in the 13th minute, off a long cross from Nick Lima. After touching the ball down, Hoesen gathered it off a defender's foot, stepped inside and unleashed a left footer into the top corner from just off the penalty spot.

Hoesen's long through ball down the right side sent Urena free and from a tight angle he rolled the ball past Nick Rimando in the 68th minute.

San Jose (6-6-5), which has battled injuries and call-ups to score just 16 goals in 16 games, won for just the second time in its last seven games.

Lima picked up two yellow cards in the second half and the Quakes played a man down from the 71st minute.

David Bingham made only one save in each half but was denied his seventh shutout when Jose Hernandez scored his second goal in the fourth minute of stoppage time for Salt Lake (5-11-2).

Latest round of bullpen auditions go poorly in Giants' 50th loss

Latest round of bullpen auditions go poorly in Giants' 50th loss

SAN FRANCISCO -- Practically speaking, the 50th loss is no different than the one before or the one after, but this sport is built on milestones, and this one came quickly.

The Giants lost their 50th game on August 12 last year. This season, it was clinched when Ryder Jones grounded out in his fourth career at-bat, handing the Mets a 5-2 win on June 24. 

Bruce Bochy called losing 50 of your first 77 games "hard to believe" and "embarrassing." Johnny Cueto, who went seven strong, said the reality was "hard and sad." Brandon Belt, who got Cueto off the hook for a loss, agreed with his manager.

"That's a pretty good word to use -- it is embarrassing to come out and lose every day, especially with the group of guys we have," Belt said. "When you're losing as much as this, it is embarrassing. We're trying to do whatever we can to turn this thing around."

Lately, that has meant changes to the roster. It is officially audition season, and in that respect, it was not a particularly inspiring day for the bullpen. The Giants felt they would have a better mix this year, but it hasn't played out. Instead, they're once again trying to find pieces for the next successful Giants bullpen.

With Hunter Strickland suspended and Derek Law in the minors, two young relievers, a middle-innings stalwart, and a newcomer pitched the final two frames. They gave up four runs.

Sam Dyson was the first on the mound in the eighth. Belt had homered a few minutes earlier, tying a good starter's duel. Dyson gave up a leadoff triple to Curtis Granderson and walked Asdrubal Cabrera before throwing two good sliders past Yoenis Cespedes for the strikeout. With two lefties coming up and the go-ahead run still on third, Bochy turned to Steven Okert. He immediately gave up a seeing-eye RBI single to Jay Bruce. Wilmer Flores doubled off George Kontos later in the frame to make it 3-1. 

In the ninth, Kyle Crick showed some of the wildness that kept him in the minors for seven years. He, too, gave up a leadoff triple, a sin you always pay for. A walk helped put another run into scoring position and a wild pitch extended the Mets’ lead to four. 

Before the game, Bochy talked of getting an extended look at Jones. He was 0-for-4 in his first big league game but he’ll be back out there tomorrow. It’s time to fight for a job, and the same holds true of some relievers who didn’t fare well Saturday. It is a group with a closer locked into a longterm deal and little else decided. 

Are Strickland or Law eighth-inning guys? Will Dyson be a worthwhile reclamation project? Will Kontos be back, and will he carve out a different role? Are Okert and Josh Osich capable of giving Bochy lefties he trusts? Is Crick’s improvement in Triple-A a sign of things to come? There are many questions to be answered over the next three months. 

“This is a good time for them, this is what players get up here for, to show what they can do,” Bochy said. “Because of our situation, we’re going to take a look at these guys and we know there are going to be growing pains.”