Warriors' decision on Smart's future not imminent

442809.jpg

Warriors' decision on Smart's future not imminent

April 11, 2011STEINMETZ ARCHIIVEWARRIORS PAGE WARRIORS VIDEOMatt Steinmetz
CSNBayArea.com

Those expecting a quick decision on the fate of Warriors coach Keith Smart are likely to be disappointed.We're entering evaluation mode.Warriors owner Joe Lacob indicated during a brief conversation on Monday that an announcement on Smart won't be coming immediately following the season, and that it might be a couple of weeks or more before any decision is made on the coach's future.The Warriors' season comes to an end Wednesday night against the Portland Trail Blazers at Oracle Arena.Smart replaced Don Nelson on Sept. 27, less than a week from the start of training camp. He was given a one-year deal with only a partial guarantee for 2011-12.
Lacob officially took over the Warriors in November, but he has acknowledged he had a hand in the coaching change. Lacob has been consistent regarding his approach to both Smart and general manager Larry Riley -- saying he will wait until the end of the season and then evaluate them along with all of basketball operations.Conventional wisdom remains that Riley likely will have his option for 2011-12 picked up, and he will return. But Smart's situation is more unclear.Smart took an injury-depleted, 26-win team from last season and has it at 35-45 with two games remaining. That will rank among the the top-five most improved teams from a season ago.In the first weeks of his tenure, Lacob talked about making a "bold" move and then expressed disappointment when the Warriors couldn't make a deal at the February deadline.

BREAKING: Giants sign Pablo Sandoval to minor league deal

BREAKING: Giants sign Pablo Sandoval to minor league deal

SAN FRANCISCO — Three years after departing for what he thought would be a better fit, Pablo Sandoval has returned. 

The third baseman, a key cog in the dynasty the Giants built earlier this decade, re-signed with the organization on a minor league deal on Saturday morning. Sandoval will join Class-A San Jose immediately and move on to Triple-A Sacramento on Tuesday. He was in the AT&T Park clubhouse on Saturday to take a physical. 

Sandoval, now 30 years old, spent the first seven years of his career in San Francisco, batting .294 with 106 homers amid battles with his weight and inconsistency. The Giants never quite got on the same page with Sandoval when it came to his conditioning, and he alternated between being a valued power hitter in the middle of their lineup and sitting on the verge of being replaced. 

In Boston, there were no such highs. Sandoval played just 161 games over three seasons, batting .237 with 14 homers, and playing poor defense. He posted a negative Wins Above Replacement in all three seasons with the Red Sox and he was designated for assignment last week. Sandoval twice cleared waivers, so the Red Sox are on the hook for the remainder of a five-year, $95 million contract. 

The Giants have not yet commented publicly about Sandoval, citing tampering rules. The view from team employees seems to be that there’s little risk in signing a former fan favorite who comes essentially for free. With Christian Arroyo on the disabled list, Sandoval will not be blocking one of the organization’s top prospects, although you can argue that a last-place team would be better served looking at players like Ryder Jones.

Most players were guarded in their comments this week. Hunter Pence, the lone player mentioned in a positive light by Sandoval in a scathing article after his departure, said he is excited for a reunion. Others offered some version of, “If he helps us win, so be it.” 

It’s unclear if Sandoval can still do that, and multiple team officials, speaking on background this week, said it’s a coin flip whether Sandoval ever returns to the majors. Still, the Giants are willing to flip that coin, and their history says they don't sign veterans and leave them in the minors. 

Giants make roster moves; right-handed bullpen arm, infielder recalled

giants-roster-moves.jpg
USATSI

Giants make roster moves; right-handed bullpen arm, infielder recalled

The Giants announced a quartet of roster moves ahead of Game 3 of their series against the San Diego Padres. 

Albert Suarez and Orlando Calixte have been recalled from triple-A Sacramento while Steven Okert and Jae-Gyun Hwang have been optioned down to triple-A. 

Suarez has missed the entire season with shoulder and calf injuries. 

Calixte has appeared in eight games with the Giants this season. In 29 plate appearences, he has four hits and three runs batted in. 

Hwang hit .167 in his time with the big league club.