1. Tag, youre it: Its Franchise Tag Friday. The deadline is Monday, but most teams will exercise their option by today. The Raiders tagged Tyvon Branch; the 49ers are expected to tag Dashon Goldson. The Eagles placed their tag on DeSean Jackson which means the 49ers wont have a play for the speedy, local wide receiver. Vincent Jackson? Dwayne Bowe? The Saints will tag Drew Brees, which means Marques Colston will be on the market. So will Steelers receiver Mike Wallace. But there will be plenty of competition.
2. Fifty years ago today Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points for the Philadelphia Warriors in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Tonight the Golden State Ws the descendent of Wilts team will play in Philadelphia and celebrate the achievement. Has it been half a century since anyone was really afraid of the Warriors? Certainly its the last time the Warriors did anything with such style: the Big Dipper didnt touch to ball in the final 46 seconds because 100 sounds better than 102.
3. Ryan Miller, the Buffalo Sabres goaltender, shut down the Sharks, with 39 saves. Thats 82 saves in two nights in California (he had 43 against Anaheim) for Miller who was pissed off that his good buddy Paul Gaustad was traded to Nashville. Apparently, hes taking it on California teams. The Sharks are still in seventh place in the Western Conference and fourth place St. Louis comes to town on Saturday.
4. Buster Posey wont play in the Giants exhibition tomorrow and might not play until sometime next week. Red flag? Laudatory restraint? Get used to it, Gs fans. The next few months will be all Posey healthy, all the time. But the good news is, Buster isnt the only young Giant who can catch.
5. Reeves Nelson, a Modesto product, is portrayed as evil incarnate in this weeks Sports Illustrated story about the dysfunction in the UCLA basketball program. Nelson gave his side of the story on Thursday. Gloomy times for UCLA, unless youre a soccer or baseball fan. But all is not lost! Tim Tebow is training at UCLA maybe a little of his magic will rub off the Bruins.MORE BUZZ:
Evaluating whether Carlos Rogers should stay or go
Niners have the cap space to go after Mike Wallace
A look at the Raiders team needs and other teams in the AFC West
A nice, clean list of free-agents, by position
Is the perfect fit for Peyton Manning in Kansas City?
In honor of Wilt's 100-point anniversary, here are 6 NFL records least likely to be broken
Did Kardashian break up with Humphries to get back together with Reggie Bush?
Llist of the top 100 free agents today where do your players rank?
100 facts about Wilts 100-point game
Report: Dwight Howard asks Magic to get Steve Nash
Kings fans should thank David Stern havent scored 100 points in 19
Details on Sacramentos 391M arena
Anthony Davis is considered the 1 prospect for this summers draft
Why Lamar Odom was assigned to the D-League
The funniest Jeremy Lin video so far?
More people watched Daytona 500 rain delay than the NBA All-Star Game
Michael Beasley is clearly on the market any interest from your team?
David Stern on Costas Tonight (NBC Sports Network) on Lin, the lockout and more
Old friend Devin Setoguchi ended up on the shootout blooper reel
Gary Bettman on Costas Tonight (NBC Sports Network) on the future of fighting in the NHL
Rejoice, Hockey fans. Don Cherry joined Twitter
Any thoughts on an NHL franchise ending up in Saskatoon? Do you even know where that is?
NHL players poll: Patrick Marleau is the 49th best player in the NHL
Dodgers try to cut a deal in the Bryan Stow lawsuit
You think Clayton Kershaw can reach 300 wins?
Wanna feel old? Terry Steinbach turns 50 years old today.
What will the AL West look like in 2014?
Stephen Drew could miss the start of the season
Joe Maddon bought this 1956 automobile
Phils front office isnt really big on sabermetrics