Warriors

Mullin ceremony overshadowed by boos for Lacob

707968.jpg

Mullin ceremony overshadowed by boos for Lacob

What was supposed to be a celebration for Warriors legend Chris Mullin turned into a brutal night for owner Joe Lacob.The man responsible for deciding to retire Mullins No. 17 jersey was booed long and hard while he tried to address the Oracle Arena crowd during the halftime festivities.It got so bad that Mullin, himself, walked to center court to implore the fans to direct their passion in a positive way. And it got even worse. Eventually another former Warriors great, Rick Barry, emerged with the microphone and chided the fans that what they were doing was undeserved.Its hard to pinpoint exactly why the fans booed Lacob mercilessly. Perhaps it was for trading fan favorite Monta Ellis last week to the Milwaukee Bucks.Maybe it was because he promised the fan base that the Warriors would be a playoff team in 2011-12, but theyre 18-25 and going in the opposite direction from the postseason.Perhaps it had something do with previous ownership of Chris Cohan and the years of frustration of only one playoff appearance in 17 soon to be 18 seasons.Or maybe it was because the Warriors played an awful first half. Most likely, it was a combination of all those things. But whatever the cause, it made for an awkward end to a celebration of one of the greatest Warriors of all time.Knowing him, knowing his commitment, his passion the day is going to come where hes truly appreciated around here, Warriors coach Mark Jackson said. Ive been around a lot of owners and a lot of teams and hes all about winning.Maybe so, but apparently Warriors fans dont believe that. Not right now.The scene was reminiscent of the 2000 NBA All-Star Game held in Oakland, when Cohan stepped out to center court with his young son to address the crowd and he was greeted with a chorus of boos.Said Jackson: The (fan) reaction will not deter him from doing what was promised and what hes committed to.

With Warriors discussing the matter, Curry reaffirms White House stance

With Warriors discussing the matter, Curry reaffirms White House stance

OAKLAND -- About an hour after general manager Bob Myers said the defending champion Warriors would soon gather to determine their response to any potential invitation from the White House, Stephen Curry reiterated his personal views.

“I don’t want to go,” Curry said during Media Day on Friday.

Curry has previously stated this position, one he shares with several teammates. Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala also have expressed no interest in visiting President Donald Trump. David West has made clear his distaste for Trump’s boorish conduct.

But Curry has thought not only about the subject but also how he reached his conclusion.

“That we don't stand for basically what our president has -- the things that he said and the things that he hasn't said in the right terms -- that we won't stand for it,” he said. “And by acting and not going, hopefully that will inspire some change when it comes to what we tolerate in this country and what is accepted and what we turn a blind eye to.

“It's not just the act of not going. There are things you have to do on the back end to actually push that message into motion. You can talk about all the different personalities that have said things and done things, from (Colin) Kaepernick to what happened to (Michael) Bennett to all sorts of examples of what has gone on in our country that we need to kind of change. And we all are trying to do what we can, using our platforms, using our opportunities to shed light on that.”

Officially, the Warriors have made no firm decision. They will discuss the matter in the coming day in hopes of reaching a consensus.

Though Curry understands the final decision will be made every consulting with every voice in the locker room -- including coach Steve Kerr, who also has been critical of Trump -- he’s unwavering about his personal stance.

“It's not just me going to the White House. If it were, this would be a pretty short conversation,” he said.

“Like I said, it's the organization; it's the team. And it's hard to say because I don't know exactly what we're going to do in lieu of or if we do go or if we don't go or whatever.

“But my beliefs stay the same. I'll have a better answer for that once I can kind of understand where the group is, too.”

While Iguodala passed on delivering his stance, citing that he had been prepped on the subject by the team’s media relations staff, Durant -- like Curry -- said he has to take the opinions of his teammates into consideration.

“It's going to be tough to change my mind,” Durant said, “but we're going to talk about it as a team and figure out the next steps from there.”

West did not divulge his decision, opting to firmly state he “will let everybody know my opinion” once the team meets on the subject.

 

Thunder GM takes high road in response to Durant's Twitter gaffe, harsh words

Thunder GM takes high road in response to Durant's Twitter gaffe, harsh words

 

Kevin Durant didn't mean to lampoon the Thunder, later deleting the tweets, but he said what he said

Asked about Durant on Friday and Thunder GM Sam Prestie took the high road. 

"I think the only thing I can say to that is just to be consistent with everything that I have said and everyone else from the organization," Presti said. "I, and no one from the Thunder, really has anything negative to say about Kevin Durant, and I think we've been hopefully very open about the fact that we have tremendous appreciation and respect for what he and his teammates and coaches and everybody over his tenure here accomplished, and I really don't think there's anything more to say than that."

Durant called the actions "childish" and "idiotic" and said that his actions have impacted his sleep cycles and eating habits.

The Warriors first face the Thunder on Wednesday, Nov. 22 in Oklahoma City.