Warriors

Sources: Warriors prepared to make political statement against Trump

Sources: Warriors prepared to make political statement against Trump

Steve Kerr made up his mind seven months ago, within hours, if not minutes, of Donald Trump being elected president.

And some of his Warriors players were not far behind.

Kerr told NBCSportsBayArea.com last November that if the Warriors were to win the NBA Finals, he would not accept an invitation to visit the White House.

[REWIND: 'Woke' David West is going to fight the fight against Donald Trump]

Those were Kerr’s feelings then, but he felt it would be presumptuous to express them publicly during the middle of a season. Now that the Warriors have the championship, taking out the Cavaliers in five games, don’t expect that to change.

The Warriors are prepared to make a political statement, multiple sources confirmed to NBCSportsBayArea.com Tuesday afternoon.

A report early Tuesday morning indicated the team had voted unanimously to boycott any invitation that might come from the White House.

Though the Warriors quickly issued a statement later Tuesday morning indicating no final decision has been made, not a man in the locker room or in the coach’s office would be comfortable visiting a president who has sowed such division while renouncing civility and from the country’s highest office.

“Today is all about celebrating our championship,” said the statement. “We have not received an invitation to the White House, but will make those decisions when and if necessary.”

Though NBA commissioner Adam Silver has implied all champions should be honored to receive an invitation from the White House, regardless of the resident, the Warriors -- players, coaches and beyond -- have been clear in disavowing Trump’s conduct and policies.

Veteran forward David West has been highly critical of Trump and has no desire to visit him.

Stephen Curry, too, has been openly critical of Trump and, so far, can’t find it within himself to visit a White House where this president is in residence.

[RELATED: Will Shaun Livingston return to Warriors next season? 'It's a business']

Veterans Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston during the regular season told NBCSportsBayArea.com they would skip the ceremonial visit should the season end with a championship.

So while the Warriors, as of Tuesday, were not ready to officially announce a boycott of a potential trip to the White House, expect them to be the first NBA team to pass on such an opportunity.

That is, should they receive an invitation.

Report: Warriors sign former Pacers forward

niang-georges-pacers-dribble.jpg
AP

Report: Warriors sign former Pacers forward

The Warriors reportedly added a player on Wednesday morning.

Golden State signed Georges Niang to a partially guaranteed contract, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Warriors already have 15 players with fully guaranteed contracts for next season.

It's possible that Niang ends up signing a two-way contract and spend the majority of the season in Santa Cruz.

Former Oregon big man Chris Boucher inked a two-way deal with the Warriors back in mid-July.

The Pacers selected Niang in the second round (50th overall) of the 2016 draft.

Last year, the power forward appeared in 23 games for Indiana.

He also played in six contests with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants -- averaging 19 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists.

The Pacers waived Niang last month.

As a senior at Iowa State, he averaged 20.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists, while shooting 39 percent from deep.

Drew Shiller is the co-host of Warriors Outsiders and a Web Producer at NBC Sports Bay Area. Follow him on Twitter @DrewShiller

Steve Nash lashes out against Donald Trump in profanity-filled tweet

nash-steve-face-canada.jpg
USATI

Steve Nash lashes out against Donald Trump in profanity-filled tweet

Donald Trump spoke to the media on Tuesday afternoon about the situation in Charlottesville.

He said the following:

"I think there is blame on both sides. What about the 'alt-left' that came charging at, as you say, the 'alt-right,' do they have any semblance of guilt? What about the fact they came charging with clubs in hands, swinging clubs, do they have any problem? I think they do.

"You had a group on one side that was bad and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent. Nobody wants to say it, but I will say it right now."

Shortly thereafter, Steve Nash tweeted the following:

"To defend white supremacists and then slang his shi**y as* grape juice pretty much sums the man up."

The end.