Sabean on Brian Wilson: 'It's obvious we had interest'

Sabean on Wilson: 'We were involved until the very end'

Sabean on Brian Wilson: 'It's obvious we had interest'
July 31, 2013, 2:00 pm
Share This Post

Brian Wilson will report to Single-A Rancho Cucamonga after signing a one-year, $1 million deal. (USA TODAY IMAGES)

PHILADELPHIA -- The Giants didn’t make a formal offer to Brian Wilson before he signed with the Dodgers. But that doesn’t mean they had no interest, GM Brian Sabean said. 

“It was obvious we had the interest,” Sabean said on a conference call Wednesday. “We had a private workout and two other workouts. He was wanting to move at lightning speed. He wanted to make a fast decision and the Dodgers jumped on him and he signed with the Dodgers.”

Wilson, when “tracked down” by gossip site TMZ, said the Giants “didn’t want me.” Sabean disputed that perception.

[RELATED: Brian Wilson on Giants: 'They don't want me']

“Nobody was in more contact than the San Francisco Giants, and specifically (vice president) Bobby Evans,” Sabean said. “We weren’t waiting on anything. We were involved 'till the end, until he signed.”

Wilson, who hasn’t pitched in 15 months following Tommy John surgery, was impressive while throwing to Giants bullpen catcher Billy Hayes under the watch of pitching coach Dave Righetti last week at USF. The three-time All-Star traveled to San Francisco specifically to give the Giants a private look.

But the Dodgers acted quickly after Wilson held a public showcase last Thursday in Los Angeles, which the Giants also attended. He will get $1 million plus performance bonuses, and if all goes well in a few minor league appearances for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga, he could be in the major leagues within a week or two.

 

More Team Talk