Good news for Chuck Hayes, and maybe for the Kings -- the free agent big man was cleared of any heart problems by the renowned Cleveland Clinic, according to a report by CBS Sports. The Kings announced Thursday night that they had reached an agreement in principle with Hayes on a multi-year contract.
Hayes and the Kings previously agreed upon a four-year, 21 million deal, but when he failed the team's physical, the contract was void.
Doctors told Hayes Thursday morning that "he does not have a heart problem" and that "their recommendation is that he can continue to play basketball without any concerns."
Hayes, 28, averaged 7.9 points and 8.1 boards per game last season with Houston. He is known for his tough interior defense, which Sacramento could use after renouncing the rights to center Samuel Dalembert earlier this month. Interestingly enough, Dalembert just signed with the Rockets.
The Kings frontcourt already boasts DeMarcus Cousins, J.J. Hickson, Jason Thompson and newly-acquired Travis Outlaw.
"I am happy to say I have a healthy heart and have been cleared to play immediately," Hayes said. "I look forward to getting back on the court as soon as possible."
The Sacramento Kings have had a busy summer with the NBA Draft, free agency and Summer League. Now in the dog days of summer, we've come to the strange times of the offseason.
Big news is bound to still happen, but this is also the time when new trends take over. The latest is the Drive By Dunk Challenge and Kings rookie De'Aaron Fox joined the party on Sunday.
At the start of the challenge, everyday people started posting videos of themseleves getting out of cars to dunk on random neighborhood hoops. Now even NBA stars are getting in on the #DriveByDunkChallenge.
Along with Fox, Anthony Davis and Jaylen Brown have also posted their own videos of the challenge.
SACRAMENTO -- The rumor mill never takes a day off. De’Aaron Fox and his Sacramento teammates were hit with a new round of speculation Sunday morning when a report broke out of Cleveland regarding the Kings interest in All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving.
According to Sam Amico, the Kings are expected to offer Fox, along with veteran Kosta Koufos and possibly more for Irving, who is coming off his best season as a pro. The 25-year-old point guard posted 25.2 points and 5.8 assists last season for Cleveland and is under contract for two more seasons with a player option for a third year.
A league source confirmed to NBC Sports California that the Kings have no interest in dealing Fox, who they acquired with the 5th overall selection in June’s NBA Draft. The 19-year-old is considered the future of the franchise at the point guard position and according to the source, any rumor of the team offering him in a deal are false.
Published reports have Irving asking for a trade out of Cleveland. Sacramento was not on Irving’s short list of potential destinations and the likelihood of the Kings coming up with the assets to acquire the four-time All-Star are slim, unless they are willing to completely change course on their rebuild and gut their young core.