SJSU accepts invitation to Military Bowl

905457.jpg

SJSU accepts invitation to Military Bowl

After achieving their first 10-win season since 1987, the No. 25-ranked SJSU Spartans have accepted an invitation to the Military Bowl on Dec. 27 in Washington D.C.It will be SJSUs first bowl game since winning the 2006 New Mexico Bowl. It also marks the first time in the Military Bowls five-year history to have a BCS top-25 school play in the game.This is exciting news for San Jose State, this football program and, in particular, our seniors, our fans, our alumni, our students, our conference and the city of San Jose, head coach Mike MacIntyre said in a press release. This team accomplished so much in so many ways this season and now we have another an opportunity to continue to our season in the Military Bowl.We have a chance to win 11 games. The last time that was done at San Jose State here was before World War II and our players, coaches and staff are ready to get started."The game will be played at RFK Stadium -- former home to the Washington Redskins -- with kickoff set for 3:00 p.m. and coverage on ESPN. The Spartans opponent has not yet been decided.SJSU ended its season on a six-game win streak and has the opportunity to become the schools winningest team of all time. The 1986 and 1987 teams both won 10 games -- the amount this team has already equaled. A win in the Military Bowl would total 11 in 2012, which would be the most for the school since becoming a major program in 1950.

Ex-Warriors, Kings coach withdrawns from consideration for Cal job

eric-musselman-nevada-championship-ap.jpg
AP

Ex-Warriors, Kings coach withdrawns from consideration for Cal job

BERKELEY — Nevada coach Eric Musselman said Wednesday he has withdrawn his name for consideration for the coaching vacancy at California, committed to continuing to build the Wolf Pack program after the school's first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2007 in his second season.

Musselman's team captured the Mountain West Conference regular-season crown and tournament title, a program first. The Wolf Pack lost in the first round of the NCAAs to fifth-seeded Iowa State last week as a No. 12 seed to finish 28-7. While he originally signed a five-year contract through the 2019-20 season, Musselman is working to finalize a new five-year deal that would keep at the school for the long haul.

"My family and I are so excited about Nevada," he said in a text message to The Associated Press. "I love our players and the bond we have created as a team and on campus and in the community."

The 52-year-old Musselman interviewed in Berkeley for the Cal opening to replace Cuonzo Martin, who resigned from the Golden Bears last Wednesday and was named Missouri's new coach the same day. Martin was formally introduced Monday.

Cal is not announcing the names of anyone brought in to interview for the head coaching vacancy.

Cal's Ivan Rabb declares for NBA Draft, plans to finish education

rabb-cal-utah-ap.jpg
AP

Cal's Ivan Rabb declares for NBA Draft, plans to finish education

BERKELEY — California star Ivan Rabb will declare for the NBA draft, a move that has been expected since the season began.

The sophomore star announced his decision Wednesday through the school. He says, "After careful consideration and discussion with my family, I have decided to forego my remaining NCAA eligibility and enter the NBA draft."

While Rabb says the timing is right to turn his attention to a professional career, he plans to finish school eventually — a promise he made to himself and his mother.

The 6-foot-11 sophomore forward was Cal's second-leading scorer at 14.0 points and top rebounder averaging 10.5 boards for the Golden Bears, who lost to Cal State Bakersfield in the first round of the NIT last week without him. Rabb was listed out with a foot injury.

Former coach Cuonzo Martin resigned the next day to become Missouri's new coach.