YSTL: How to rebuild Raider Nation
more on barnes
The Raiders re-signed offensive lineman Khalif Barnes to a one-year contract for the sixth time. The team made a formal announcement on Friday afternoon.
While his agent wouldn’t provide specific terms, he said Barnes could be in line for a “significant” raise over last year. The veteran made $1.5 million last year between base salary, a workout bonus and incentives.
“I’m so excited to be back,” Barnes said in a statement released by the team. “I’m going on my sixth year here, and we’ve had some ups and downs but there are some unfinished things we have to do here. I want to be a part of the process that turns this thing around. I believe in Dennis [Allen] and I believe in Reggie [McKenzie]. I am just excited I get the chance to come back and help this team win.”
Barnes certainly helped an ailing offensive line last year. He played 99.81 percent of the team’s offensive snaps in 2013. The offensive tackle switched from right to left during training camp, after Jared Veldheer went down with a partially torn triceps. He started 11 games there and the final five at left guard when Veldheer returned.
With the offensive line still in flux, it’s uncertain where Barnes will play next season. He could stay at left guard if Veldheer is re-signed and second-round pick Menelik Watson or another player steps up at right tackle. He could also move back outside if the Raiders need depth or help manning a spot.
Barnes will enter his 10th NFL season. He has 103 starts in 123 NFL games representing the Raiders and the Jacksonville Jaguars.